Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Bilingual Organizer|
|Description:||With 120,000 members SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for the thousands of unorganized workers.
SEIU 32BJ is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage, affordable healthcare, respect, and a voice in their future. We are committed to transforming the lives of janitors, security officers, food service and other service workers.
We are seeking organizers to run aggressive campaigns. As an organizer, your role is to work with a team of staff and members to support workers who are fighting to win power by building a union in their workplace.
Positions are available in Fort Lauderdale, Forida.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers, educating them about the union.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead their campaign.
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on the industry as a whole.
Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable. A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- Fluent English plus a second language is required (Haitian Creole or Spanish preferred).
- Willingness to work long hours, nights, and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- A car and a valid driver?s license are required.
Competitive salary based on experience, full benefits package including retirement, 100% employer-paid family health and dental insurance, and a car allowance. This is a salaried position.
Email a cover letter, rEsumE, and three references to Deirdre Lehn at email@example.com. Please reference Organizer in the subject line of your email, and reference where you saw the job posting.