Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Press Secretary|
|Organization:||Corporate Accountability International|
|Description:||For 35 years, Corporate Accountability International has successfully challenged corporations like Nestle, General Electric, and Philip Morris to halt abusive practices that threaten human rights, public health, the environment and our democracy. The organization is expanding and leading campaigns challenging some of the world's most powerful industries from food and agriculture to water and Big Tobacco. Think Outside the Bottle exposes the truth behind bottled water marketing and defends the human right to water in the face of increasing corporate control and Public Water Works! galvanizes support for public water systems. Value [the] Meal challenges the fast food industry to stop driving an epidemic of diet-related disease and helps build a more sustainable food system. Our campaign to Challenge Big Tobacco protects the first-ever corporate accountability treaty from tobacco industry interference.
The Press Secretary is responsible for conducting Corporate Accountability International's media outreach and overseeing effective operation of this program. The Press Secretary communicates regularly with journalists, drafts and edits press materials, maintains records of Corporate Accountability International's media coverage, and assists in training staff and grassroots partners in working with the media, while working in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented environment. We're looking for a team player with the drive to extend the already considerable media reach of the organization and its campaigns and rapidly advance within the organization.
- Play a key role in the development and implementation of Corporate Accountability International's media outreach plans.
- Identify, build and maintain relationships with key journalists.
- Generate significant media coverage across
- Draft, edit and proof press releases and other written materials.
- Assist in training staff spokespeople and media activists nationwide.
- Maintain up-to-date files, records, and systems, including a comprehensive reporter database.
- Assist in developing and evaluating Corporate Accountability International's overall media strategy and media outreach tools.
- Participate in campaign activities and fundraising drives such as shareholders' meeting s and phone banks.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and progressive social change.
- At least three years full-time staff experience in grassroots organizing or non-profit communications. Experience in fundraising a plus.
- Talented and experienced copy writer and editor, with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written skills and enthusiasm for talking on the phone and writing.
Sense of humor a plus!
- Strong administrative skills.
- Working knowledge of dominant social media platforms with competency using them to engage media, thought leaders, and extend the grassroots reach of campaigns.
- Proven ability to work hard and collaboratively with a diverse group of people.
- Enthusiasm for travel.
Accountability: The Press Secretary reports to the Communications Director.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience, with a generous benefits package including health, dental, FSA, 401 (k), ongoing training and growth opportunities. Upbeat, collaborative, and goal- oriented office atmosphere.
Location: Campaign Headquarters, Boston.
To Apply: Email letter of interest, resume, two writing samples, and three to five references to Sarah Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please let us know where you heard about the position.
Corporate Accountability International is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization.
People of color, women, and GLBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Contact: Email letter of interest, resume, two writing samples, and three to five references to Sarah Bennett at email@example.com. Please let us know where you heard about the position.