Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Union Organizer|
|Organization:||SEIU Healthcare PA|
|Description:||About SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania's largest and fastest growing health care workers union. From direct care workers in nursing homes and home care agencies to RNs in acute care hospitals, SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is comprised of 23,000 health care workers from a variety of backgrounds who are fighting to put people before profits in our health care system, improving the lives of working people, protecting quality patient care in our work-sites, and working for quality health care for all. All positions require a car, and some level of travel within Pennsylvania. Where noted, extensive in- state travel may be required. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer: women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Organizers performs a wide range of duties which are focused on empowering workers to stand up for themselves and join with their co-workers to improve conditions on the job.
- Identifies, recruits, and trains members to help lead the campaign
- Activates/mobilizes/tests leaders
- Builds positive working relationships with leaders and activists.
- Executes large worker actions (delegation, rally, etc.)
- Mobilizes workers (House/calls, Lobby Day,
- Utilizes worker power to combat employer campaign
- Inoculates workers against the employer's campaign
- Records/tracks conversations, assessments, and assignments
- Maintains and updates various campaign lists
- Charts the locations of all employees
- Understands the basics of the National Labor Relations Act and other relevant laws/regulations affecting organizing campaigns
Successful applicants must have excellent communications skills, a willingness to work long and irregular hours, be able to be away from home for significant periods of time and have the ability work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Given the dynamic nature of union organizing, campaign assignments can be anywhere in Pennsylvania. Depending on experience, the position may begin with a three month apprenticeship program.
Competitive salary package, benefit package includes fully paid health insurance, defined- benefit pension, optional 401(k), etc.