RAPE is RAPE: No More Excuses
No More Excuses
Take Action on Rape Kit Backlog
- Find your community's rape kit backlog
- Email the Chiefs of Police Association about the backlog
- Watch the No More Excuses video on YouTube
- Order the No More Excuses: Stop Rapists by Testing Evidence Kits Now! Video & Action Kit
Your Community Backlog Step-by-Step
The no more excuses campaign has two goals:
We did it! FBI Director Robert Mueller approved the change recommended by several committees of the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Service to update the FBI Uniform Crime Report definition of rape!
This portion of our campaign is still active. Please help us have the same success with removing the backlog as we had with changing the definition of rape!
REDUCE the Backlog Campaign
Did you know that:
Undetected repeat offenders commit 91% of all rapes1
Hundreds of thousands of rape kits containing DNA evidence are not being tested. 2
Maybe that's why 15 out of 16 rapists will never spend a day in jail3
But there is something we can do – we can test every rape kit.
Testing these backlogs results in "matches" on unsolved rapes, identifying perpetrators who have remained at large, and helping to take rapists off the streets.
TAKE ACTION – you can make a difference
- Find out whether there is a backlog in your community & then tell us!
- Tell a friend about the RAPE is RAPE: No More Excuses Campaign
- Inform yourself and your friends - order your No More Excuses: Stop Rapists by Testing Evidence Kits Now! Video and Action Kit.
The No More Excuses Video and Action Kit features a poignant new video No More Excuses: Stop Rapists by Testing Evidence Kits Now!, produced and directed by Lorraine Sheinberg and written and narrated by Susan Rubin. This shocking video exposes the failure of law enforcement departments across the country to process rape evidence kits. The backlog enables serial rapists – and the vast majority of rapes are committed by serial rapists – free to rape again. This powerful educational video also examines the need for a modernized Uniform Crime Report definition of rape by the FBI.
2 - For example, a 2009 investigation by CBS News of just 24 cities and states found that over 20,000 rape kits were never sent to the crime lab, and 6,000 kits from active investigations were waiting months or years for the labs to complete testing. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/10/cbsnews_investigates/main5605770.shtml